Sunday, October 01, 2006

A nip in the air............

Everywhere you go there is mention of fall. Wish someone would tell the “weather gods” that are in charge of Florida.
All the magazines have a fall cover from food to decorating.So the temperature dropped four degrees, I made soup…………..I look for any excuse to make soup, especially the creamed variety.
Our mom was a terrific soup maker. I remember she was the first to introduce me to creamed asparagus soup as well as creamed broccoli soup. One of my husband’s favorite cream soups is roasted red pepper and tomato.This recipe is one that I concocted from an assortment of recipes. You know take a bit of this recipe and add it to that recipe……tada there now it’s our own. We all do it!

Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup
2 large red peppers*
2 cans of Muir Glen fire roasted tomatoes (14 oz.)
3 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
1/4 - 1/2 cup cream
1 tbls olive oil
1 medium onion about ½ cup
2 large garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp smoked sweet paprika
salt and pepper to taste1.

Roast peppers in a 400F oven until skin is blackened. Let rest in a sealed paper or plastic bag for about 15 minutes, then peel off the skin, seed, remove membrane and chop into chunks.
2. Briefly sautee (5 minutes) in olive oil onions and garlic in a medium pot. Add tomatoes (with juice) and chopped peppers and cook on high to reach a boil then reduce to simmer for 15 minutes, or until tender.
3. Add stock and spices. Feel free to add some red pepper flakes or chipotle powder for spicy kick. Add cream and bring to a boil, then slow simmer for 15 minutes. I use an immersion type/boat motor blender to puree the soup to a desired consistency.
4. For a finishing touch, when plating, add a dollop of sour cream and some chopped cilantro. Or croutons spread with a pesto. I also like a splash of sherry at the very end. This version I put a thin slice of asiago cheese and popped it under the broiler till cheese melted

*you could use the jar variety of red peppers but remember to get the roasted red peppers packed in water not vinegar.

Lesson learned………….as jeff would say!! If you use a regular blender cool the contents down somewhat prior to pureeing and leave the lid ajar a tad cause if not you’ll have a mess.

Do you have a favorite cream soup?

5 comments:

Kalyn Denny said...

I like the sound of this. Huge confession coming, I've never roasted my own red peppers. Time to learn, I know!

Deborah Eley De Bono said...

I like cream soups but when I soup it up I don't go in that direction except when it comes to potato. I think that is my only cream soup these days.

Last night was chicken and rice, warms the soul, soup does.

Lea said...

I know how you feel. I am getting season envy too. In Florida, we have 360 days of summer, and days of "winter".
I was tagged to make a seasonal menu for my blog, but I am having a heck of a time figuring out what is in season here right now O_O.

Annie said...

Yours sounds good. But no, I don't really have a favorite. I did see a recipe just recently by Giada for artichoke and leek soup, which is creamed after cooking. It looked really good.
I might try it...when the wheather gets a little cooler :)

maltese parakeet said...

i like almost any kind of cream soup, mostly because i just like cream. i have a particular thing for cream of broccoli soup, served in a hollowed out bread bowl. on rainy days, i liked to have that for lunch at ucla's kerckhoff coffee house.