Saturday, September 30, 2006

Bullet-proof mac 'n cheese

A while ago I was poking about in Soul Kitchen's archive and found a recipe for Mac and Cheese. It got tucked into my del.iciou.us and forgotten. It was clean-out-the-refrigerator mode before our vacation and a bunch of shredded cheddar made me think of the recipe. Boy, was I glad I did. Sylvie will have to tell us where it came from, it's title is "Bertha's Macaroni and Cheese."

Easy to throw together while you're doing other things and pop in the oven. I only made half the recipe and it still came out perfect. Mine was a nice sharp cheddar and I added half and half, remember, I was cleaning the fridge. We ate it for dinner, then lunch and I had one little square left so it was wrapped in foil, marked and thrown in the freezer. I know, I can't bare to throw away good food.

Why do I call it bullet proof? One night after vacation, and the leftover had been in the freezer three weeks, I needed a supper just for me. Hmmm. Removed the foil, wrapped it in plastic and popped it in the microwave for a few minutes. When I heard it sizzle it was ready. It was still as tasty as the first night I made it.

Couldn't kill it if you tried.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds great, but being a novice cook I was wondering how long you baked it? (the recipe says 'until set')

Deborah Eley De Bono said...

How long to bake? I'd say after it bubbles and turns the top a nice crusty brown. Maybe about 30 minutes.

barb said...

crusty brown is the best part.....

sylvie1950 said...

I'm glad you love it. The recipe is my mother's. I don't know where she got it but think it is something she just always made. My aunt makes it the same way.

It has become one of my signature dishes.

I have also experimented with using different milks including half and half and condensed milk (unsweetened). It never fails. Bubbly with crispy edges is the best.

La Vida Dulce said...

Thanks so much! Why of course I must make this recipe, my mom's name was Bertha! She preferred to be called Granny and I have her to thank for my obsession with cuisine. Her mac & cheese was pretty good. Canned evaporated milk would also work with this recipe. That browned corner piece is mine!

maltese parakeet said...

yay for mothers who give us their recipes! :)

maltese parakeet said...

and aunts!!