No recipe; comfort food is one of those dishes you've made so many times a recipe would be an afterthought. So here's my method with some pix thrown in.
- Sauté sliced onions, lightly. We are not looking to caramelize here. Layer in your baking dish.
- Now, in the same skillet brown the seasoned pork. I used the leaner loin steaks. Once they have color layer them over the onions.
- Next a layer of thick cut potatoes.
- For the sauerkraut I use one from the deli section in a plastic bag, Krrispkraut. No cans, that is just not crunchy enough. I drain and splash some water, not really washing it. This is the top layer, but wait, there's more.
- Fine chop about 1/3 cup of peeled apple and "poke" into the top layer of 'kraut. This will tame the sour. That tip was from my Mother-in-law, Ann. She would also throw in a spoon of caraway seeds.
- Remember that skillet? Deglaze the pan with about 3/4 cup of water, then pour that over the casserole.
- Cover with foil and bake about an hour 325 or until the potatoes are done.
What's your comfort food? Is it something you alone make? Your momma? Something you eat at the local diner. Just let us know we are not alone.