Friday, October 20, 2006

My version of Tortilla Soup

Dang this was good. Although a few zantacs were passed around at the completion on the meal.

My love for Muir Glen fire roasted tomatoes is well known, I had some leftover chicken breast that I diced up and some of that mean green sauce that moon posted a few days ago.

I chopped up a small onion, added the chicken once the onion was sauted, poured the mean green sauce over the chicken and added a half a container box of low sodium chicken broth.Let that simmer for a bit and added my can of fire roasted tomatoes, added the remainder of the chicken broth and let simmer for about half hour. Had a can of white hominy, rinsed it well and added that to the pot. Now remember the mean green sauce already has a lot of seasoning so extra is not need. Taste as you go.

Once the hominy is heated thru it tends to thinken the soup, so I added another box of chicken broth. Finished it off with tortilla strips lots of em as husband says, slices of avacado, and some fresh cilantro.I had made corn muffins earlier and added a can of chopped green chiles to the batter.Find the similar recipe here at the Muir Glen site. Try it if you like spice, adjust it if you don't.



5 comments:

Lea said...

wow that does look good... especially since there is hominy in there!! O_O Yum!! I've seen those tomatoes in Saveur ads... always wondered if theyre good! Never seen them in the store... where do you get them?

wheresmymind said...

No cheese?

barb said...

lea Publix carries them and even WalMart. Check out there web site they have some nice recipes.

nope no cheese for my cheesay monkay friend. Of course you could I don't.

La Vida Dulce said...

You've taken a lovely soup to new heights. This is really closer to a modern "pozole", which I call the "friendly version of menudo" because the tripe is replaced with another meat, usually pork. Looks amazing. I am truly impressed!

barb said...

dulce I consider that one of my highest compliments - thank you!
Pozole is a favorite of ours however I have only ever made it with pork.
tripe you say, never, never, never, bleeeech!!!
now if it had a better name, something catchy or at least more appealing.