Wednesday, October 04, 2006

another breakfast for dinner

Fellow blogger at Mixed Salad Annie brought up an interesting question what is your favorite breakfast for dinner?I mentioned in the comments that her choice happened to be my second choice.

My first choice would be Migas……………

Our Dad made, what he called, tortilla and eggs. The first time I had them I fell in love with them. But for some reason husband is not fond of this dish, so I fix them for myself when I know he is not gonna be home for dinner.I have never used a recipe but I did find several on line. Migas (pronounced MEE gas) is eggs, bits of corn tortilla, and a host of savory ingredients, from black beans, chorizo and cheese to salsa, avocado and chiles. The word, migas, in fact, is derived from the Spanish word for crumbs.


Migas with Fresh Tortillas
4 large eggs
a few tablespoons salsa (your favorite, it can be the chunky variety)
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon oil3
6-inch corn tortillas, cut in to strips
1/4 cup finely chopped white onion
2 tablespoons chopped green chiles (I use the canned)
1/2 cup chopped avocado, sprinkled with a little lime juice
2 teaspoons minced fresh cilantro
2/3 cup grated Monterrey jack cheese
sour cream
In a small bowl, lightly beat together the eggs and set aside.Warm the butter and oil in a heavy skillet. Add the chopped onion and sauté until it is transparent. Add the tortilla strips and sauté until just a bit crisp Stir in the chopped green chiles and the salsa.Pour the eggs into the skillet, and "scramble" until eggs are done. Remove the skillet from heat, and sprinkle the chopped avocado, cilantro and cheese into the eggs, again stirring well.Serve at once with warm flour tortillas like you would eat toast. Garnish with additional salsa and sour cream

Note: This recipe makes two servings, but it can easily be doubled or tripled or more for a larger crowd. Migas are a terrific brunch dish. Chop the onion, green chiles, tomato, avocado and cilantro before you start the migas so they'll be ready when you need them.

In addition to the ingredients called for in this recipe, some additional possibilities for enhancing your migas are:
crisply cooked and crumbled bacon · Salsa verde· chopped ham · crumbled chorizo (browned before you add the eggs) · cooked, shredded chicken or turkey · grated or diced potato (sautéed until tender before adding the eggs) · poblano chiles · green Bell pepper · green onion · crushed red pepper flakes



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like one heckuva hefty omlette! Must give this a try and see if it'll go well on the 'comfort foods' list :D

wheresmymind said...

Corn tortillas and eggs are a powerful combo

Annie said...

I'm so glad you posted it, because I was wondering how it was made.

It kind of reminds me of a western omelette which my dad used to make often.

I'm not big on salsa due to acid, but do you think it would taste just as good without it???

La Vida Dulce said...

Ay, Dios mio! How did you know? Migas are our favorite breakfast for dinner food. Delicious!

Deborah Eley De Bono said...

Now I have had this for dinner when there was nothing in the fridge.

I am looking for a recipe that is similar, chilaquiles. Anyone?

barb said...

annie if you use a lot of the other ingredients I don't think you would miss the salsa.

C it is one of my favorites - thanks.

moon yep clean out the fridge food.
friend from dallas makes chilaquiles, I'll check with her.

Deborah Eley De Bono said...

I'm sure this tastes better than the photo looks. Eggs and tomatoes are difficult photograph.

barb said...

I know isn't that a horrible photo.................sorry bout that. BUT migas taste sooooo very much better than they photograph.