Thursday, October 05, 2006

No more calls, we have a winner

We've posted a few references to an L.A. landmark, Olvera Street and our favorite taquito stand, Cielito Lindo. See posts one and two. I was real surprised to get a few request for the sauce recipe. I've tried many times to replicate and finally gave up, jeeze, it's only about forty miles to LA.

The request saying they'd take anything close so I thought I'd give it one more try. I mean I do fancy myself a pretty good cook and I've eaten enough of their guacamole--I should be able to get closer. I'd even seen a recipe in a cook book, god only knows where, that says cook the sauce to change the raw taste.

This is not your typical guacamole, it is thin and strained of any seeds. You really don't even taste the avocado there is so little.

Taquito sauce

1 can of Herdez Salsa Verde, or something that has tomatillos, onions, serrano peppers, salt, and cilantro.
1/2 ripe avocado
about 1/2 cup cilantro, packed
one serrano pepper, no seeds

Blend this in a food processor until smooth. Add salt to taste or extra serrano peppers if you like it hotter. Strain out all the seed.

Now here's the odd part, bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook for about five minutes. Don't boil, just simmer, this isn't a reduction. Thin with a bit of water or chicken broth. This is a real thin sauce. Maybe as thin as tomato juice. Cool and refrigerate.


So I made this a few days ago and damn, if I didn't come closer than I'd even hoped. It is lacking something I can't put my finger on, maybe thinning with chicken broth would be it. If you make it and you've eaten at Cielito Lindo's you tell me. For now, I think I'm satisfied.

12 comments:

barb said...

I swear we are twins separated by 7 years. I made this because of the request amd jeff mentioned salsa verde. The power of just talking about food. I will post the green enchiladas later this week. For those of you that like salsa verde try this one as it is pretty tasty.....and Olvera st is a fair distance for me right now.
sister moon is a genius.....gracias!

wheresmymind said...

My wife would CHOW the rest of the avocado ;)

Annie said...

I love trying to duplicate a recipe and getting it right, but when it doesn't come out the same, it's a real let down.

Glad you finally got it!

La Vida Dulce said...

Now when you're done with Cielito Lindo, head over to La Golondrina for a pitcher of margaritas!

maltese parakeet said...

vida, we usually skip la golondrina on our way to la luz del dia at the other end of the calle for carnitas! though, i usually have to stop on the way at one of the candy carts to pick up some jamoncillo and alfajor to snack on!

Sol Flamberg said...

If you are looking for Mexican Ingredients look no further than www.mexgrocer.co.uk who sell Masa harina, tomatillos, chilies and everything a mexican food lover needs

Anonymous said...

Finding this recipe is such a big deal for me that you don't have room here for me to explain. I just want to thank you, my family thanks you and those that will soon experience Olvera St. in WA, I thank you for them. I made the taquitos and sauce last night and it was perfection. I tripled the recipe for the sauce and I blended the salsa 1st and then strained it, then added 1 jumbo avocado, 3 serranos and left the cilantro at 1/2 cup. I ended up using 1 can of chicken broth to thin it and it was soooooo good. Thanks again, seriously.

barb said...

Christy, I'm so glad you tried this recipe. Yes, it is very close to the one served at Olvera Street. It took me years to figure out they thinned it with broth.

Lisa said...

Thank you! These posts about taquitos and LA take me back (I grew up in L.A., and I adore taquitos, though I never got them on Olvera St. -- how did I miss out on that??). I always wondered how they got an avocado sauce so thin. I want to make taquitos and try this sauce ASAP!

Anonymous said...

I GO TO CIELITO LINDO VERY OFTEN AND I WAS TOLD A FEW DAYS AGO THE SPECIAL INGREDIANT IS CUMIN. THIS SPICE IS USED IN GREEN TOMATILLO TYPE SALSA AND IT TASTES VERY CLOSE TO CIELITO LINDO'S AVOCADO SAUCE. I'VE BEEN WONDERING FOR YEARS WHAT THE SECRET SPICE IS AND THIS JUST MIGHT BE IT. TRY IT AND LET US KNOW. (I AM!)

Lucero De La Tierra said...

I've never tasted this sauce but it sounds fabulous. Is it maybe a spice that is missing? The only reason I ask is because my mom's salsa always tasted better than mine and I couldn't figure out why because she taught me how to make it! Well, one day I saw her putting cumin in it and lo and behold that was it. I found the missing link! May want to give it a try :).

Anonymous said...

It doesn't taste nothing like the cielito lindo sauce. I have tried many times all kinds of recipes for this sauce and nothing. I think they have to use something that is inexpensive fast and easy. I'm going to try to add some lime this time. Wish me luck.In Texas missing California.