Saturday, March 04, 2006

This is not your grandma's recipe

Just because the title of this blog is PB Étouffee that doesn't mean everything in the blog has to be about peanut butter, this is a co-inky-dink.

Tumbleweed was chewing on a cookie last week and who in their right mind would turn down a peanut butter cookie so I say share that recipe, which she did, and without reading, I started to gather all the ingredients one would think of in a cookie; flour, sugar, baking soda/powder. What the recipe calls for is Peanut butter, sugar, an egg and vanilla. That's it.

Did I miss something, I think and dial Tumbleweed. Oh Weed, something's missing from this recipe. Make it she says. So I mix it all together and mash sticky little balls of dough in the the customary criss-cross peanut butter cookie and slid them into the oven and for twelve minutes they just sit there, they neither spread nor rise. About the time I take them out of the oven I'm thinking so glad the recipe doesn't make many but when they cooled wished I'd made more. Amazing.

So make the cookies and if anyone knows why peanut butter cookies have that very distictive criss-cross pattern, do let me know.

1 cup peanut butter (I use the kind you have to keep in the fridge and stir)
2/3 sugar
1/3 brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract

Mix together with a spoon and roll the dough into balls the size of walnuts. Flatten balls with a fork dipped in sugar and bake 350 for 12 minutes or golden brown.
Cool slightly before removing from pan.

4 comments:

damn if you do said...

peanut butter cookies have the criss cross 'x' mark on them so you know for sure they're are peanut butter, and don't accidentally eat any other kind of inferior cookie.
this recipe looks so simple and yum, I've got to try it.
I remember making ones with powdered milk when I was a kid, and they didn't need cooking, you just froze them, or something... does that sound familiar?

evil cake lady said...

wow, and they taste like cookies, and not balls of sweet peanut butter?? i'll have to try these; my gluten-free friends would love a GF peanut butter cookie.

thanks!
ECL

(found you via blogs of note)

farustar said...

that sounds simple and delicious! I would like to know if there's a substitute for egg?


found you vis blogs of note =D

Deborah Eley De Bono said...

Glad all the visitors like this recipe. It is very good.

Just… never heard of a frozen pb treat but I'd love to try it.

farustar … I'm not sure if you could substitute the egg because the only other fat is in the peanut butter. I think they'd be too hard.