Wednesday, March 15, 2006

food dreams..........do ya spose???

OK I don't know about you but there have been times when I have woken up and all I could think about it is this restaurant........it's a dive but the food is tasty. Cracklin Jacks is in Naples, Florida of all places. And the reason I say that is because Naples is the new hot spot in the Southeast. I digress......Back in January, eight of us in two motor homes were there attending the Swamp Buggy Races and we stumble on Cracklin Jacks. They open at 11 a.m. I think and the line is out the door till 4 p.m. and then they start for the dinner crowd. When we go we usually go around 5, with all the other old codgers because ya wanna beat the crowd. I'm tellin ya it is home cooked at it's finest. Fried food and all. The only place I would ever eat liver and onions, cause the only meat they serve is all prime. And there scallops are as sweet as butta.
And what is so great is they serve a trip tip...........that is succulent and tender. Now they also serve family style side dishes for the dinner menu. So with 8 of us they bring out what they call vittles of the day which are side dishes of mashed potatoes, gravy white & brown, creamed onions, sweet corn, beets, corn bread, collard greens and white beans. Now rest assured you do not ever ever leave Cracklin Jacks hungry. Oh and if you dare.........their pecan pie is to die for. I only dared once.

So if you are ever in the vicinty of 75 also known to many as the Sunshine Highway and y'all get to exit #1 take a right go a couple miles and Cracklin Jacks will be on your left. Oh and don't be scared off by all the cars in the parking lot, that's what got our attention and trust me there is plenty a food there wating for ya. ENJOY!!!


No comments: