Saturday, April 15, 2006

Green Chile Souffle amended.........

My sister moon put together a small collection of recipes many years ago. The date is not known cause she didn't date the book but I can tell youfor sure it has been a long time cause mine is dirty with food stuff and dog eared and very well used.

In this collection is a wonderful recipe for Green Chile Souffle which I have made many, many times as directed. While at the Fresh Market the other day I got some pablano peppers and fresh tomatillos. I roasted the tomatillos with chopped vidalia onions and several cloves of garlic for about 30 minutes at 400 degrees. After the mixture is cooled I put it in my food processor adding salt and fresh ground pepper to taste. I put the pablanos under the broiler for charring,let them get charred and keep turning them over till they are all fairly charred. Now I do this under the broiler because I have an electric stove. Once the peppers are charred put them in a clean plastic bag, tie the bag off and let them set for a half hour. You will be able to peel them easily and the charring/roasting gives them a tasty flavor.

Now the souffle..........

8 pablano peppers roasted, seeded and peeled OR 4 4 oz cans of whole green chiles
2 cups grated jack cheese
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
6 eggs
1 cup all purpose flour
4 cups milk
salt and pepper

butter the bottom of a 9 x 13 glass dish. If using canned chiles rinse well of seeds and pat dry.
layer the chiles on the bottom of the dish then layer the cheese, reserve a handful for sprinkling on top when completed. Beat together the eggs, mix in the flour and milk. Then pour that mixture over the cheese and chiles. Pan should be about half full. Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until done in center. About 15 minutes before taking them out sprinkle that reserved cheese on the top. Serve with salsa or guacamole or both and maybe some heated corn tortillas. Now because this was just for two of us I cut this recipe exactly in half and used a square glass dish and it was perfect.

Pictured above is tomatillo guacamole and fresh salsa...........yummy!!!!

There are several wonderful recipes in this collection so stay tuna'd......................








1 comment:

Deborah Eley De Bono said...

Boy oh boy, does that look good! I've not made that recipe in a while and I love that you made it with fresh chilis.