Saturday, July 15, 2006

Cole Slaw

There are hundreds of events out there in the food blogland. I wish I could participate in each and everyone of them…..highly unlikely. But Kalyn’s Weekend Herb Blogging is one I would like to concentrate on. I visit Kalyn’s regularly and certainly enjoy her many visitors from around the world and the special entries they provide.
So thanks Kalyn and thanks to all who have provided recipes and ideas I have been able to use, I thought it was time to participate.

We are very fond of cole slaw in all it’s many version. But in the summer I seem to enjoy a lighter version. And this slaw can be adapted to many tastes

The version I made today I left out the yellow peppers and added an avocado. I have also added cannellini beans to this slaw.

Asian Style Cole Slaw
6 cups thinly sliced green cabbage (about 1/2 medium head)

2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
1 small red bell pepper, diced
1 small yellow or green bell pepper,
diced3 medium carrots, peeled and shredded
4 green onions, sliced crossways
fresh cilantro to your taste
sliced almonds toasted

Prepare the following dressing and add just before serving:
1/3 cup rice vinegar
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon sugar2
tablespoons grated peeled fresh ginger
1-2 tablespoons minced garlic

Mix salad ingredients together in a large bowl.
Toss with dressing just prior to serving to retain the crunchiness of the slaw.

6 comments:

Kalyn Denny said...

Oh, I love the sound of this. Of course I'm crazy about cilantro, plus I love cabbage so I'm sure I'd like it.

Gattina Cheung said...

Doodles,
did I see bean sprouts? Your salad looks wonderful!
Me too, WHB is the event I like to participant regularly.

barb said...

no sprouts but that doesn't mean there can't be. Husban likes to put the cruncy noodles on top for extra crunch.

Anonymous said...

I love Asian style salads, so this looks wonderful.

Christa said...

I like cole slaws that are vinegar -based rather than mayonaise-based, and your recipe looks like a great one to try. Thanks for posting it!

Anonymous said...

Cool guestbook, interesting information... Keep it UP
Volkswagen diesel parts Tv tuner for computer Vw jetta wagon test drive 2004 18 lottery numbers free coloring pictures of classic cars Nissan infiniti engine O'neil nissan http://www.incorporating-2.info/step-parent-rights-in-divorce.html Mississippi homeowners insurance agents vw schalter t1 Superior web design Finance vw Vw tow bar new Guns n roses november rain Delphi mv10018 car dvd player