Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Salad weather has hit the west coast, too

Seems everyone is getting into summer cooking so armed with some leftover couscous I put together my twist on a tabbouleh salad. Quick and easy would be the heading; it took me no time at all to prepare.

Because I tend to cook what's in my fridge this salad had cilantro and smoked paprika rather than the traditional mint and parsley. I've just discovered this Spanish spice and can't believe how great it goes with my style of cooking. I love the smoky flavor of chilpotle but don't always want the heat. This product solves that dilemma.

Recipe (it's more like a suggestion of what to do)

About a cup of cooked couscous.
Chopped onion, tomato, cilantro and cucumber (whatever looks pretty).
Lemon juice and olive oil, almost equal parts (heavier on the oil).
Pepper and smoked Spanish paprika.

I feel the lemon takes the place of the salt but add some if you wish. Toss this together and let all the flavors get to know each other in the fridge for about an hour.

I served this with a bbq'd baby back ribs, some olive oil and chopped garlic soaked bread; toasted on the grill, and a glass of Chalone Vineyard's 2004 Pinot Noir outside on the patio.

Chalone is becoming a favorite of mine in the 10-15 buck-a-bottle range. If you can get a bottle of the '03 Syrah grab a few, it is quite delicious.

Ah, summer has come to Southern California.

3 comments:

barb said...

remind me to bring home a can of smoked paprika......yumm!!!

wheresmymind said...

Nice...I appreciate the cilantro and the smoked paprika

Annie said...

Sounds good to me.