Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Mangia!

I rediscovered a little restaurant in the San Fernando Valley last night, Pomodoro. I was meeting a friend for a drink and early dinner and we walked into PF Chang's but it was way too noisy for any conversation so I suggested we try Italian. It was close and I was silently praying it was still good.

I'd like to say it was an old fashioned type of Italian restaurant with red vinyl booths and Sinatra music playing but it isn't. It's bright and open and has been there less than five years. We found a corner booth and two glasses of Sangeovese. After the waitress came back for the third time we decided to look at the menu.

Friend had a Mista salad; many greens and salad things with gorgonzola and balsamic dressing and Ravioli di Magro; ricotta and spinach ravioli with gorgonzola sauce. I settled with Tortellini alla Panna; braised beef and pork tortellini with prosciutto, sage and cream. I passed on the salad.

Both of our dinners were delicious. Mine was just "touched" with a cream sauce with a subtle sage flavor and lightly crisped prosciutto. Friend's plate was cleaned. We passed on dessert and waddled out.

Pomodoro has 45 stores California and a few in Arizona and though I'm death on chain's I like this one. The service was great and if you've read any of my "bad service" reviews you'll remember I'm fussy about that. Now, if they can only get some Sinatra music.

21600 Victory Blvd.
Woodland Hills, CA., 818-340-2400

4 comments:

wheresmymind said...

I don't understand the draw of PF Changs, nor for that matter the Cheesecake factory. Not saying their food isn't good (because I heart the "Southwest salad" at Cheesecake) but waiting 2+ hours for a table...uh uh..not worth it.

Deborah Eley De Bono said...

I agree, and the crowd is so loud you can't have a decent conversation.

Lea said...

mmmm.. Sangiovese....

I have a confession to make.... I adore Chang's fried rice. Even went so far to dig up their recipe for it.... still have to get around to making it and see how it compare. The put molasses in it!!! O_O

maltese parakeet said...

i'm squarely in the hate pf chang's camp. i got really crappy service there once and vowed (loudly, to the manager, in front of a crowded restaurant) never to set foot inside another pf chang's establishment again. it's seven years later and i've kept my promise. i'm not missing much, though. who needs that corporate chinese crap when you live in l.a.? even the mom & pop joints in strip malls have better chinese food than that place.