Sunday, June 04, 2006

Grill of My Dreams from Mooncrazy

For Little Bird's birthday we had about 12 so easiest for me to bbq was baby backs. I tried Alton Brown's recipe a few years ago and it has become the only way I do ribs for a crowd. So tender. First you rub two whole slabs of baby back with your favorite dry rub. I'd certainly try one of La Vida Dulce's.

Wrap each in heavy foil leaving one end open. Refrigerate for one hour. Microwave the braising liquid and pour half the liquid in each foil packet close tightly and braise in 250 oven on baking sheets for 2 1/2 hours. At this point I removed the ribs, cooled and refrigerated them. I also reduced the braising liquid to use as a sauce to glaze the ribs the next day.

About an 30 minutes or so before serving I heated the ribs on the grill to get them heated and a bit smoky then lathered on the reduction of the braising liquid or any bbq sauce you like and served. I also served addition sauce with the ribs. They were quite well received.

Dry Rub:
8 tablespoons light brown sugar
3 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon onion powder

Braising liquid:
1 cup white wine
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons steak sauce, I like HP Sauce
1 tablespoon honey
2 cloves garlic, chopped

Note: I found the reduction sauce way too salty but the ribs were fine so I mixed the reduced braising liquid with a bottle of salt-free ketchup and it was great. When you are reducing the liquid make sure it's in a large skillet, it give more surface area and reduces quicker. This tip I got from the little parakeet.

1 comment:

barb said...

so sorry I missed 'little birds" party.........maybe we can re-create at a later date. Sure does look yummy!!!