Tuesday, August 08, 2006

T'is the season to be cheesy

This must be pizza season because Mixed Salad Annie made one as well. I was itching to try Pizza on the grill from America's Test Kitchen because it is still too hot to bake in the oven-- although I did make a batch of oatmeal cookies but that's another post.

Don't be put off by the seemingly long process, it's quite easy. What makes their dough better than buying it pre-made? They add oil to the dough so it doesn't stick to the grill and it doesn't. It cooks quickly and doesn't stick. I was amazed because I'd tried some Trader Joe's dough and wasn't happy with the performance.

The other trick is roll them out small, no bigger than 10 inches that way you can get them on the hot grill in one piece. See how nice and round mine look. Well look at the next photo. Something happens to change that nice round pie into a shape not unlike the continent of Africa.


This could also use two people because they really cook quickly. They only used cheese and tomato because the crust is thin and fragile. Next time I'm going to try some other pre-cooked toppings. A few mushrooms or olives wouldn't break this crust.

Cheese. They said Fontina was less watery which keeps the crust "snappy." I'd try mozzarella next time. I was looking for that nice salty taste.


Don't forget to poke the wee bubbles or when you turn it over they'll burn. You'll see in the last photo what I'm talking about.



This was fun to try and I will make this again, soon. I'm thinking appetizers for a party would be great.

5 comments:

wheresmymind said...

Somewhere Bobby Flay is smiling

barb said...

and I'm smiling tooooooo - we'll do that when I come to visit and I can be in charge of poking holes in the wee bubbles.

sylvie1950 said...

Looks good. I love yummy melty cheese. It would be great for a party and I'm sure they would get a thrill out of watching you prepare it.

La Vida Dulce said...

Naw, this is too good for Bobby Flay, he burns the heck outta everything. Looks amazing!

Annie said...

Wow, that looks amazing. That's going in my to try list!