Doodles and I adore Peet's Tea blend, Russian Caravan but for this recipe you'll need the full strength "kick-ass" tea not cut with anything else. Twinnings in the individual bag is best because it's finely ground, if not, whir it in the coffee grinder.
The quick basics to this was:
- Rub and refrigerate ribs for 24 hours then freeze 45 minutes. I used my rub but ATK has one in the recipe.
- Heat pizza stone in 500 degree oven until really hot. They say 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle the smoky tea on sheet pan, then place ribs on rack above and cover all with heavy foil.
- Place sheet pan on stone and cook ribs for 30 minutes.
- Lower temp to 250 and pour 1/2 cup of apple juice in bottom of pan.
- Continue to roast for about 1 1/2 hours or until the meat comes off the bone.
- The ribs will be pale so I sauced them and put them under the broiler.
Now I love the show but the two Test Kitchen folks were just so amazed at how smoky the ribs were. They're always amazed, thrilled, or just plain starved but it's their show and their cooking. I didn't find the ribs to have the same wonderful all-day smoked flavor they raved about though I followed their method exactly. What I did have were some tasty fall-off-the-bone, little bit smoky, ribs that were quite easy and could be done ahead and sauced and broiled later. What I love is they are willing to try some odd combos and this makes me more adventurous in the kitchen.
Recipe on ATK
Editor's note: That BBQ sauce is from Trader Joe's and has no HFCS.