Sunday, March 11, 2007

So it was a sign I'm sure...


Not in the sense of a sign like Pisces, Gemini or a Sagittarius. But rather a sign from a fellow blogger Lucullian Delights. Take a look and try to participate in this great good food eating idea.
Lucullian Delights has paired up with another wonderful blogger,
Joanna's Food,
to create this new venture. I am excited about it I hope you are to. The deadline for submitting is March 22nd I do believe. Even if you don't enter, We all know we should go take a look and see what you might enjoy preparing for your family or even just yourself.

For details click here http://heartyeating.blogspot.com/index.html
eat healthier, and please, know I am not promoting any diets here. But since my hunky husband and I are going to be roaming the highways and byways of this wonderful country, I thought what better timing than to put together healthier snacks and meals. And I do believe it is a matter of good planning and habit to eat healthier tastier meals and snacks.


There are many tasty finger food, the first category, out there and mine is...

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus served with Pita Bread Crackers


Ingredients
2 cans (16 ounces each) reduced-sodium garbanzos, rinsed and drained except for 1/4 cup liquid (I bought mine at the health food store) If you cannot find just rinse really well.
1 cup sauteed red peppers*

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1/4 teaspoon paprika
3 tablespoons tahini (sesame paste)
2 tablespoons chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley

Method
In a blender or food processor, add the garbanzos and roasted red peppers. Process to puree. Combine the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, pepper, paprika, tahini and parsley. Blend well. Add the reserved liquid, 1 tablespoon at a time until the mixture has the consistency of a thick spread. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Nutritional Analysis
(per serving) Serving size: 2 tablespoons Calories 48 Cholesterol 0 mg Protein 2 g Sodium 106 mg Carbohydrate 6 g Fiber 2 g Total fat 2g Potassium 15 mg Saturated fat 1 g Calcium 15 mg Monounsaturated fat 1 g


*If wanted to use roasted red peppers in a jar, just make sure they are packed in water and not oil.


no pita crackers to be had in this household, but low calories sesame flat bread. Also wanted to put this colorful hummus in one of my pretty depression glass bowls, well guess what, because we are packing up and hitting the road, husband has packed them all away. So plain and simple presentation here.

8 comments:

Ilva said...

Thanks Doodles! Great entry, it looks really good!

Kalyn Denny said...

This sounds like a wonderful variation of hummus. Looks delish even without a fancy bowl. Any chance you're coming near Utah on this trip? Let me know if you ever do!!

I love this new event. Still thinking of what to make . . .

Joanna said...

This looks really good - I often make hummus, and this will make a really good change ... thanks

Joanna
joannasfood.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Yum! Red pepper and beans - a fantastic combination! And - perfect to put into a cooler for a road trip. This is good for my mental file cabinet as I try to figure out where I want to go for my vacation. Thanks!

Chef Jeena said...

I love your hummus recipe, nice blog! :)


visit jeena's kitchen healthy recipe blog

Helene said...

I love pepper, I´ll do pitta chips with my daughter later this week so just this is what I needed!! :)

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

What a wonderful dip or spread...and it's just great food that happens to be good for you!! Perfect and great color!

Anonymous said...

This sounds really good. I'm very impressed that you've done the nutritional analysis too!