Monday, July 24, 2006

If you can't stand the heat; don't cook

In honor of my thermometer exploding (it really didn't but sure feels like it could) I made gazpacho for dinner the other night. I loved it. It was icy cold and spicy (see me additions) and darling husband was nice enough to finish a small bowl but turned it down the next day for lunch. Can't hit it out of the park every night.


I snagged this recipe from a wonderful little Tapas cookbook from dear friend Tia Di. I've tried a few recipes but this is a favorite. Of course I didn't make it exactly like the recipe. I only had two tomatoes so I used 3/4 of can of Muir Glen chopped tomato and fire roasted chilies. This give it a bit more kick. I also did a bit of fancy design on the top with cream. I tell you, it's the heat.



Gazpacho
1 garlic clove
a pinch of coarse salt
1 slice white bread, crusts removed
4 ripe juicy tomatoes, peeled and seeded
1 tablespoon grated onion
1/4 small cucumber, peeled and seeded, plus a little extra for garnish
1 tablespoon Spanish sherry vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon sugar
salt and ground black pepper

Mash the garlic and salt together.

Put the bread in a saucer with a little water and let soak. Put the garlic, bread, tomatoes, onion, cucumber, and vinegar in a blender and purée until smooth. Keeping the machine running, add the oil in a slow and steady stream. Add salt, pepper to taste, then add the sugar.

Pour the mixture through a strainer into a bowl, adding more salt, pepper, and vinegar if necessary. Chill in the refrigerator overnight and serve in small bowls or glasses with a little chopped cucumber on top. Serves 4

5 comments:

wheresmymind said...

Great presentation!!

barb said...

I agree - great presentation sister. We shall have this when I visit as it is not a husband favorite here either

maltese parakeet said...

and another use for stale bread!

Deborah Eley De Bono said...

Yes, it's funny, tomato sauce usually gives me fits but this doesn't. Wonder why.

Lea said...

ooohhh!

I've never seen a gespacho that wasnt chunky! I've tried making it before for Dave but he says he feels like he is eating salsa without the chips.... I am definitely gonna try this one out!!