Thursday, July 27, 2006

Blueberry Nut Bread


Think this is my entry for sweetnicks' a.r.f./5-a-day tuesday. Please check out her site on tuesday for the roundup of everyone's tasty a.r.f. treats!!!

Blueberry nut bread ............. ahhhhhhhh tis the season for those ARF blueberries , wow!!!

Seems they are everywhere. And now they are in my kitchen in the form of this blueberry bread. Annie over at Mixed Salad Annie made some fat friendly muffins that looked quite tasty, but we had just had some muffins. So a bread popped into me teeny little brain. Husband enjoys it toasted under the broiler then spreads it with a walnut cream cheese spread.
The following recipe is from a Bed & Breakfast that husband and I stayed at in Venice, Florida several years ago.

Ingredients
3 cups all- purpose flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
***3/4 cup sugar
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup butter, melted
**1/3 cup orange juice
3 cups blueberries
1 cup chopped nuts (walnuts/ pecans)

Combine the flour, baking soda, nutmeg, sugar, and salt. Using a wooden spoon, beat eggs, milk, vanilla, melted butter, orange extract and orange juice.
Pour into the dry ingredients and stir until flour is thoroughly moistened. Add the blueberries and the nuts. Stir thoroughly but gently. Pour into a well buttered mini loaf pans and set aside for fifteen minutes. Bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes or until the loaves test done.
Makes 4 mini loaves or one very large loaf. Remember, if you do the large loaf the cooking will be a lot longer (around an hour and a quarter)

**I used cranberry juice because I had some dried cranberries I was also going to add to the mix
*** I remember the woman that made this bread saying I didn't have enough white sugar so I completed the 3/4 cup with brown sugar.

Anyone ever do this?

3 comments:

wheresmymind said...

I'd be thinkin of cinammon sugar on top ;)

Annie said...

Doodles, Thanks for the plug! You are so sweet. And that Blueberry Nut Bread looks just as sweet. I love your hubbys idea of broiling it and adding the walnut cream cheese spread. YUM!

Gattina Cheung said...

Doodles,
I like eating blueberries fresh, but also like to see it in your bread, look very pretty.
Sometimes I'd replace some (not all) white sugar with brown sugar, giving the baked goods a bit of camerel flavor.