Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Cast Iron Soufflé

Since I only drag out the cast iron a few times a year I like to practice a bit before I go off and try to feed a bunch of people. We are heading South to do just that in March so I've been doing a bit of outdoor cooking.

Here is a recipe I use quite often in my kitchen oven and had an idea I could fix for the potluck at the Teardrop Gathering.

The recipe was in a recent post by doodles, A trip down memory food lane.


Rinse chilies free of seeds and cut into inch pieces and assemble rest of ingredients.

Heat a 10 inch Lodge Cast Iron Dutch Oven heated with coals 14 top and 6 bottom.

Because I'll be cooking this on a camping trip I did not use an electric mixer and whisked the eggs in a large bowl. Beat the eggs until they are thick and light yellow. Next whisk in flour and when you have no more lumps mix in the milk and salt and pepper.


Add butter to preheated outdoor dutch oven and coat the inside. Layer green chilies and cheeses and gently pour in the milk mixture.

Replace lid and cook for approximately 40 minutes turning lid and pot 1/4 turn every 15 minutes.

At 30 minutes I added two more fresh coals to the top because I wanted the cheese to brown.

I took a peek at 40 min and it was done. I tested by sticking a knife in the center and it came out clean.

Removed it from the heat and let it rest about 10 minutes without the lid. It needs to cool off a little before serving.

We had friends over that have had this before and they said this was the best one I've ever made.

No comments: