Friday, July 27, 2007

Meatloaf on the grill


This is not so much a recipe but a different way of doing it. I do like America's Test Kitchen; both the TV show and website because they come up with interesting ways to save time and make food more tasty.

I tried their Glazed Meat Loaf last weekend with great success. I'm not going to post their long recipe as it's quite involved. What I will talk about is the method. They roasted the meatloaf, not in a loaf pan, but on a rack over a sheet pan. Over the rack was a piece of foil the size of the loaf with holes poked into the foil. See their website for illustrations. I know, I should have taken photos.

Because I hate to heat up my kitchen in the summer, I cooked mine on my gas grill outside. I have three burners and I lit all three, brought the grill up to 400, then turned off the center burner and that's where I put my sheet pan with the meatloaf. Closed the lid and monitored and adjusted the burners to keep it at 375. Cooked it for one hour and let it rest for twenty minutes. I then spooned on the glaze and cooked it under the broiler in the kitchen. They say twice, which I did and it was a perfect addition.

I did change the glaze recipe and here it is.

Glaze
1/2 cup ketchup (non HFCS from Trader Joe's)
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 cup cider vinegar (I used balsamic)
3 tablespoons light brown sugar

Stir and simmer until slightly thick. Spread one layer on cooked meatloaf then broil until bubbly. Add another layer and broil again.

Although the meatloaf recipe produced a tasty dinner I might not follow the recipe completely. They do have a huge long list of ingredients that I didn't think changed the flavor. What they were trying to do was get a soft, tender loaf using only ground beef; no pork or veal and only two eggs. They came up with the idea of using 1/2 teaspoon of unflavored gelatin. Odd, I know. What I did like was sauteing the celery and onion with the garlic before adding to the meat. I hate a strong onion flavor and this tones it down a bit.

3 comments:

Laura Rebecca said...

Wow. What a cool way to make meatloaf. I would never have thought to do that -- thanks for the tip!

Joe said...

I love that method, but I'm finding the use of the grill even better! Especially since it has been so sticky outside!

Chris said...

What a cook thing to do! I gotta get my grill fixed...