Thursday, April 08, 2010

Cast Iron Beef and Noodles

Yes, I know, I'm like a one string banjo when it comes to cooking outside but I've truly come to love this. It might be that old pioneer coming out. I mean, we did come to Simi Valley in the '70s when there wasn't much here but a few housing tracks. That's a bit of a stretch because they did have a drive-in theater. Who can say why but I love to cook and this is an extension of that love.

So, rather than bore you with the instructions I'll add a new recipe I've found for noodles. I usually make them with all-purpose flour but picked up a package of Bob's Red Mill at Whole Paycheck. Their product is worth the extra cost and thought I give their recipe a try. I've always been a fan of home made noodles bu this makes such a wonderful textured noodle I think I'm hooked.

I like to use a little all-purpose flour with the semolina and I use my food processor to do the kneading. I'm not lazy, just … well, I am lazy. Do what you want. I will use a pasta machine to roll out and cut the noodles but try doing it yourself. There's nothing like hand cut to show that they didn't come from a package. Plus they are always a bit chewier when they are hand rolled and cut.
  • 1 1/2 Cup Semolina ( I use 1 1/4 semolina and 1/4 cup all-purpose flour)
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Sea Salt
  • 2 Eggs
  • 2 Tablespoons Water
  • 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
Combine Semolina Flour and sea salt. ADD beaten eggs ( or egg whites), water and oil. Mix to make a stiff dough. Knead 10 minutes or until dough is elastic. Wrap dough in a towel or place in plastic bag and let rest for 20 minutes. On a lightly floured surface, roll out to desired thickness and cut as desired. Bring large pot of water containing 1/2 tsp. oil to a boil. Add pasta and cook until tender.
Here is the cast of characters:

Celery, onions, and carrots; cut into small pieces
3 cups of beef broth
2 cup of chicken broth
about 2 cups of shredded beef

Saute the veggies in a bit of oil and add the broth and meat. Bring to a simmer and cook until the veggies are soft. Throw in the noodles fresh made noodles. If you use packaged or dried noodles you'll need some additional broth or water as they'll soak up that broth like a thirsty sailor.


Slowly simmer until the noodles are tender. Try not to stir too vigorously or the noodles will fall apart. When you use the home made noodles your broth will thicken a bit from the extra flour on the noodles. If not add a little roux and cook until thickened. I think these types of dishes are better the next day but after working this hard, it's usually right to the table.

1 comment:

barb said...

tasty ask me how I know ;)