Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Denver Green Chiles



never heard of them???...........neither had I, until a local farmer bring me some the other day.

Right now Mr Doodles and I are residing in South West Colorado.......read about that here if you care to.


A few weeks ago this fellow came in on his way back to his farm to talk about storing his boat on property here at the RV park
for the winter. I happened to be reading a cooking magazine at the time. "Ya like to cook"? he says.........ha I sure do and am always looking for local foods to use. "Do you ever cook with chiles"? O you betcha I do!!! "Well I grow chiles on a little plot of land on my farm they are called Denver green chiles and they taste a lot like New Mexico Hatch chiles. I will be roasting some around the beginning of September and I'll bring you some". Now when someone says that I'm always a tad skeptical.....BUT.......two days ago this fellow, my new best friend, walked in with TEN pounds of these magnificent chiles. My teeny brain just started spinning for recipes immediately thought of green chile quesadillas and chile verde......oh my word!!!!!!!! Now I googled freezing chiles.......don't ya just love Google, any way I found a site that tells how to prepare chiles for freezing. Unfortunately fresh roasted chiles cannot be kept in the fridge for more that a few days because they will mold. So sister moon and niece lil' bird will be getting some fresh frozen chiles when I arrive soon.

Let me get to the very simple method of a chicken, green chile quesadilla that I made last nite.

Ingredients

2 flour
tortillas
grated cheese of your choice
chicken or steak.........leftovers a great for this if no sauce was used
green chile cilantro
If I had some caramelized onions I would have added those


Method place your first flour tortilla in a skillet, start layering your ingredients, I start with cheese, then the meat, the chiles, cilantro a bit more cheese and top that off with the other flour tortilla. Turn the heat to med to low, place a lid on and carefully watch so as not to burn the tortillas but the cheese melts nicely and the inside heats the meat. Once one side is a bit toasty turn over with a wide spatula and continue for another minute or two till the contents are warmed thru and the cheese is well melted. I serve with a fresh salsa as well as sour cream mixed with some green sauce and extra cilantro.

5 comments:

Deborah Eley De Bono said...

TEN POUNDS?! I can't wait.

I love that cheesy photo.

barb said...

you would like the end product of the cheesy photo even more...........soooooooon!!!

maltese parakeet said...

oh yum! you know what those would taste great in? your green chile quiche!

Deborah Dowd said...

I have not heard of these chiles, but I am down with giving them a try if I find some. Enjoy Colorado!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.