Thursday, September 28, 2006

Hats off to Johnnies

Christine, one of our foodie friends on La Vida Dulce has a post on The Hat and even though I think it's one of the better fast food "joints" in Southern California I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Johnnies Pastrami. You see, Doodles and I, and then lil Bird, grew up eating there. They are truely a mid-century classic complete with neon and and a working juke box at your table.

Not living close I get my pastrami fix from The Hat, there's one in Simi, but just the thought of Johnnies, that greasy joint, makes my arteries quiver, hmmmmm, onion rings. Philly might have their cheese steaks but The Hat and Johnnies have the market on pastrami.

After you order, from some of the oldest waitresses I've ever seen, they bring you this wonderful bowl of cold kosher pickles. Eating three or four is a must, then a rootbeer, pastrami, and onion rings. I don't know what is better. Well maybe Tito's around the corner but that's for another post.

Johnnie's Pastrami
4047 Sepulveda Blvd (cross street: Washington Place)
Culver City, California 90230

5 comments:

La Vida Dulce said...

I LOVE JOHNNIE'S! Back when I was working near LAX, I would scan the neighboring areas looking for cool places to grab lunch or dinner. We worked long hours, sometimes well into the night and early morning. Finding good food was essential, since all the office snack bars and cafes were closed after 5pm. Johnnie's is one of the best burger stands, I'm glad they're still around, thanks!

barb said...

OMG you are so right about quivering arteries....but damn that is good food.

maltese parakeet said...

i didn't even know they served other food there. i can't remember the last time i opened a menu there. pastrami dip with mustard and onion rings every time.

sylvie1950 said...

I love that place. When you have to have an artery plugging fix, this is the place. That's why we only get there every few months. And a special yes yes yes for the pickles and the hot peppers.

wheresmymind said...

Oh man...a ruben so might be in my immediate lunch future...thanks!