Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Hey Mambo, you mixed up Sicialiano

Another great, easy and meatless pasta dish, this time from America's Test Kitchen. It couldn't be easier and a wonderful light main course or starter. Most Pestos are heavy with the oil, garlic and basil and this hits all those notes, just softer. Hot or cold it does well.

Sicilian Pesto Pasta
1/4 cup blanched slivered almonds, toasted
2 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes
1/2 cup basil leaves plus a few for garnish
small clove of garlic
pinch of red pepper flakes
1 peperoncini, chopped

Throw all of the above in a food processor and blend until everything is chopped. While running, add 1/3 cup of olive oil and blend. Then stir in 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper.

Cook 1 pound of spaghetti or linguine pasta in salted water and reserve a cup of cooking water.

Toss the pesto with the hot pasta using a little of the cooking water if it is too thick. Serve with a few chopped basil leaves and more cheese.

This is one of my new pasta bowls; I love them. Tell me why I didn't buy more? This is good hot but I served it cold the next day and just as yummy. I let it come to room temp before serving.



4 comments:

barb said...

this would not be for Mr but I surely will love it!!

Deborah Eley De Bono said...

He might like it cold. I made a pasta salad with this pesto and orzo. Quite tasty.

Allie and Pattie said...

This sounds nice! And where did you get those bowls?? I've been looking for some nice white large pasta bowls- believe itor not, they're not easy to find!
xoxo Pattie

Deborah Eley De Bono said...

I got them on sale at a LA Restaurant supply, Surfas. I'm sure they have no more, boo hoo. Why didn't I buy more?