Thursday, July 05, 2007

Tarragon, basil, sage and thyme

Close to the Paul Simon hit but not. This is my summer herb garden; almost out of hand. Basil and thyme, I've got oodles of recipes, cook with those two herbs all the time. It's the sage and tarragon I'm struggling with so off to the 'net and here are some quick ideas.
  • Caramelize onions an then throw in whole sage leaves and roast for about 8-10 minutes.
  • Swirl two tablespoons unsalted butter in a skillet over medium. Stir constantly until it brown and stops bubbling, add the sage and cook until crisp. Serve over cheese raviolis or plain cooked pasta.
  • Chopped tarragon into your regular potato salad. Also in chicken or egg salad.
  • Chopped tarragon and chives into omelets.
I happened to visit Kalyn's Kitchen and found this recipe for roasted mushrooms with tarragon. How timely. If you have any recipes specific to these two herb, share the permalink with us.

6 comments:

wheresmymind said...

We tried growing herbs in our window with not a lot of luck :Z

Kalyn Denny said...

I have all those herbs in my garden, but I grew some French tarragon for the first time this year after hearing other bloggers rave about it. It was this recipe for Lemony Chicken salad with Tarragon from Champaign Taste that first got my attention, and then I made my version of the same recipe, with a few changes of course because that's how I am. I'm really in love with the flavor of fresh tarragon (as well as a lot of other fresh herbs too, of course.)

Thanks for mentioning my mushrooms with Tarragon Vinaigrette; I loved the way that turned out!

barb said...

I can vouch for that beautiful basil cause when we left to begin our nomadic journey sister packed some of her fresh basil for us.
My dream would be to have an herb farm.
Glad to hear the herbs are doing well in your triple digits.

M. G. Frederic said...

sage butter sauce is my fave. with spinach and ricotta raviolli rolls and fresh sauted zuchini and tomatoes :)

Deborah said...

At one point, I had about 15 herbs growing in pots on my apartment balcony. Two moves later, I haven't put in an herb garden, but it's definitely on my list for next year.

This soup recipe from epicurious has been on my "to make" list for a while, so I'd love to know if you try it! http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/107909

Anonymous said...

bitch