Sunday, December 24, 2006

Christmas Eve lite

Not the best photo I have ever taken ;~(

Soup is a good thing to have for a Christmas Eve, meal because you know darn well you are gonna eat a ton the next day.

So for Christmas Eve I made for the two of us the family Potato Soup recipe that has been around for quite sometime now.

As usual I put a twist to the Creamy Potato soup. I made the basic recipe that sister moon found ages ago.

BUT I kept a few of the bite size pieces of potatoes out, sauteed them in a bit of butter and a dash or three of smoky paprika, then added them at the last minute.
Tasty if I say so myself. And served with fresh sourdough rolls and a glass of wine you are good to go for that Christmas meal that you know you will over indulge.
This recipe my sister printed up in a small cookbook that was amongst many of her other favorites that she compiled and sent out for Christmas gifts. I think it was about 15 +/- years ago because of a particular reference.
Potato Soup
1/4 C butter
1 C celery, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1/4 C parsley (I forgot the parsley)
3 - 4 white potatoes chopped (about 4 cups)
1 qt milk (I used half milk and the other half was half & half)
1 qt low sodium chicken broth
3 Tbls cornstarch
salt & pepper to taste
In a kettle melt butter, add onion & celery cook till limp. Add all but about a cup of the potatoes, parsley and broth. Cook until tender. Stir in milk and cook til soup is hot, DO NOT BOIL. ***This is where I get out my mini boat motor AKA hand held blender to blend the soup to a smooth consistency. Once smooth blend cornstarch with a little water to make a slurry and stir into soup, continue to heat until soup thickens. If you find it a bit thick to your liking add a bit more broth. Add the parsley at the last minute. This is where I steamed a few of the potatoes and sauteed them in a bit of butter and a few sprinkles of smoky paprika. Love the flavor it adds.
***not a necessary part of the method but something that I do.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that soup just isn't something that easy to photograph ;) Sounds good, can't say I've ever had potato soup before but I like the sound of your recipe!

barb said...

you are right ellie but it would have helped some that I would have remembered the parsley. But the taste is delicious.

Anonymous said...

Yummy, didn't ge to fix that this year but maybe New Years Day.