Friday, May 16, 2008

Mushroom Soup

and creamy tasty, silky texture that warms your bones...that's what I made last nite. Let me say that my sweet husband does not eat mushrooms in any way but he loves mushroom soup...........go figure.

I found this recipe over on
Simply Recipes blog.....Elise adapted this recipe from one made by Wolfgang Puck. This is my adapted version........sorry no photo.

Cream of Mushroom Soup

  • 1 pound regular white mushrooms, cleaned, quartered or sliced
  • 1 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
  • 2 Tbsp minced shallots
  • 1 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/2 bay leaf
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper (I like more pepper)
  • 2 cups heavy cream (I used half & half and it was fine)
  • 1 1/2 cups chicken stock (low sodium)
  • 1 teaspoon cornstarch dissolved in 1 Tbsp water
  • Minced parsley for garnish (no fresh parsley on hand, sprinkled a bit of the fresh thyme as a garnish)
Method

1 In a food processor, coarsely chop mushrooms and lemon juice.

2 Melt butter in (4-5 quart) sauce pan and lightly sauté shallots on medium heat. Add mushrooms, thyme and bay leaf, sauté over moderate heat for 10-15 minutes, or until the liquid that is released from the mushrooms disappears.

3 Add salt, pepper, cream and chicken stock and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.

4 Add cornstarch and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Correct seasoning and add more lemon juice to taste.

Serves 4. Serve sprinkled with a little parsley.


1 comment:

Deborah Eley De Bono said...

This sounds wonderful I love soup but since it was 101 today I think I'll put this away until fall. Not crazy about summer being so early.

You are lucky to be in the cooler climate.